Subject: Re: current vax cannot boot and lvalue casts in arch/vax/boot
To: A. Wik <aw@aw.gs>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/14/2006 09:20:36
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 21:32:05 +0000 (GMT)
"A. Wik" <aw@aw.gs> wrote:

> How come there's such an apparent eagerness about upgrading GCC,
> anyway?
To add some points to the list Jan-Benedict already mentioned:
C99 compliance? Better optimizer? A compiler that is actively
maintained? (2.95 is dead.) One compiler / toolchain for all ports?

AFAIK the problem with the VAX compiler is that shared libs in GCC 3 are
broken. So VAX stuck to 2.95. NetBSD is on the way migrating to GCC 4
and this will solve the shared libs problems of GCC 3.

> I've found the use of an older compiler (pcc) a more
> refreshing experience.
Can it compile ANSI C at all, or is it still K&R C?
What if you need to compile C++?
Does it support all the CPUs that a NetBSD compiler needs?
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen