Subject: Re: current port-vax status
To: <>
From: A. Wik <aw@aw.gs>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/13/2006 12:41:26
On Sat, 11 Mar 2006, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2006, at 6:08 AM, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> >> As for Slackware, it's the Linux to choose if you ever need one.
> >
> > http://crux.nu/wikka.php?wakka=Home
> >
> > *that* is the linux of choice, especially for folks like us. :)
>
>    Yes, Crux is good stuff.  VERY lean and clean.  I run it on several
> VoIP gateways at work (can't use non-PeeCee machines for those as the
> PRI card drivers haven't been ported to a modern architecture) and on
> my token Linux box here (Sun Ultra20 Opteron box).

But modernity is a small price to pay for a rich legacy of
backwards compatibility and investment-protection!  DEC did
the right thing with PDP-11 compatiblity in the early VAXen,
and the incremental improvement of the VAX for two decades.
Intel's performance was even more impressive until the
Itanium blunder that opened the doors to golden opportunities
as for AMD to cash in on the blatantly obvious 64-bit patch.
By comparison, the lack of competition in the VAX market
resulted in the equally obvious VAX64 opportunity going
down the drain...

-aw