Subject: Re: current port-vax status
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/07/2006 23:46:37
   Sort of, yes, but a slightly different approach.  Xkernel was a
package that floated around for awhile maybe 11-13 years ago.  It was a
stripped-down kernel config for SunOS 4 (for Sun3 and SPARC), a shell
script that replaced /sbin/init, and a few other little things.  You
configured the machine to netboot, and it basically turned a Sun
workstation into an X terminal running either a chooser application to
select a host to connect to, or explicitly "tie" it to one host.  It
worked very, very well.

   At a large ISP I was involved with throughout the 1990s, we had
dozens of them sprinkled about.  At first they were back-ended by a
Sun4-200 which was the "staff server" (its hostname was "ss1", for
"staff server #1"), but in the later years we migrated the back-end
services to a few SPARCstation-20 machines...with serial consoles in
the computer room, as servers should be.

   The machines running Xkernel were Sun3/50, Sun3/60, Sun3/140, and
Sun4/110 machines.  Once, just because I could, I built one with a
Sun3/200 CPU board, two 8MB RAM boards, and a framebuffer in a six-slot
4/150 chassis. :-)

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire