Subject: Re: current port-vax status
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Charlie ROOT <root@dynamite.narpes.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/28/2006 05:36:20
On Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> Chuck McManis wrote:
>
> > That isn't NetBSD's charter, I understand that. Maybe 4.3 Tahoe is the best
> > thing you can run on the machine these days.
>
> Why Tahoe and not Reno? (Curious)

While I haven't compared Tahoe and Reno, specifically, it was
approximately at that point the trend of divergence of BSD
from other flavours of Unix started to become blatantly
obvious.  Whether one regards that as a good or bad thing is
mostly a matter of taste.

For example, newer BSDs (and perhaps GNU even more so) seem
to regard typing longer paths as enjoyable: /usr/man ->
/usr/share/man, /usr/pub/ascii -> /usr/share/misc/ascii...
Often Linux, which (unlike BSD) has no V7 heritage, sticks
more closely to that heritage.

-aw