Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD
To: Roger Ivie <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Jim MacKenzie <jim@photojim.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/27/2006 09:29:19
----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Ivie" <rivie@ridgenet.net>
To: <port-vax@netbsd.org>
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 9:17 AM

> While I don't know for certain what TEST 10 is telling the drive, I have
> been intimately involved with a SCSI floppy controller. Formatting a
> drive involves issuing the format command to the drive and waiting for
> it to finish. No data is transferred. If you are having bus trouble
> (such as a bad/missing terminator), you may very well be able to format
> a drive but not use it.

Interesting.  Something to consider.

Termination issues were on my mind.  I tried with the terminating jumper on
and off (on the CD-ROM drive).  I didn't put a terminator on the external
SCSI connector on the back; perhaps I should.  I guess I shouldn't assume
that DEC SCSI buses are the same as the SCSI buses I've successfully used on
Amigas and *nix-based i386 machines...

Jim