Subject: Re: Core VAXstation components
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: A. Wik <aw@aw.gs>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/24/2006 05:24:17
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 03:33:50 +0000 (GMT)
> "A. Wik" <aw@aw.gs> wrote:
>
> > A while ago I acquired a couple of VAXstation 4000-90
> > motherboards with memory,
> [...]
> > (I'm using a 9 GB IBM LVD drive + suitable adapter for
> > my current VAXstation 4000-60), but what about
> > cases and power sources?
> You can convert your VS4k60 to a VS4k90 by transplanting the mainboard.
> I have done this and it Just Worked (C) (R) (TM).

I knew that's possible, but I'm looking for methods
to generate two new VAXen rather than replace one

> You can't use the 60 GFX in the 90 though.

Is that based on empirical data, or is it mentioned
in any documentation on the product(s)?

My SPXgt card (or whatever the 3D-accelerator was
called) with a removable crystal (it's in a socket) -
might that be related to VS4000-90 compatibility, or
just the vertical refresh frequency as I had assumed?

-aw