Subject: Re: Net Booting...
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Hans Rosenfeld <rosenfeld@grumpf.hope-2000.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/20/2006 08:55:29
On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 09:43:45PM +0100, Anders Hjalmarsson wrote:
> > Maybe it is no problem of the boot code. It may be in mopd(8) or
> > mopcopy(1)...
> I have this patch to mopcopy, I do not remember where I got it,
> either from this list or a bug report.
> With it I can mopcopy an ELF-format bootprogram to a format that works.
> The mopd internal ELF conversion is still broken though.
> For those who have forgotten, mop booting got broken with the switch to
> ELF (quite some time ago)

I was once told on IRC that the problem is not in mopd or mopcopy but in
the linking of the boot program.
When boot still was a.out, the entry point was set to 0, while with ELF
it is set to the start symbol.
There are some interesting comments on this at
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/arch/vax/boot/boot/Makefile

Hans

--
%SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, The operating system has been overthrown