Subject: Re: Error cross-compiling lib/libc/rpc/svc_vc.c
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/10/2005 17:48:53
On Dec 10, 2005, at 5:36 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> I suspect before long, the VAX won't even be supported any more. It's
> been several years since you last could run build.sh from start to
> finish on a native build on a VAX. And all the new stuff they keep
> adding just means it's getting slower and slower, for almost no return
> (in my view). Building on a VAX 8650 now takes over a week for just
> /usr/src.

   It *is* particularly irritating that NetBSD is becoming so bloated.
For years I touted (and deployed) NetBSD as a screaming fast,
lightweight OS.  Sadly that is no longer the case.

   I personally feel somewhat guilty for having all but abandoned
NetBSD/vax for my own uses.  It's not for lack of desire; I just
haven't had the time to mess with it.  I have a large number of very
beefy VAXen here (two 7000s, many 4000-x00s, and a few 4000-90s) but no
time.

   Perhaps I shall get one or two running with a recent release of
NetBSD just to purify my soul a bit. :)

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, Cape Coral, FL
"Most are engaged in business the greater part of their lives, because