Subject: Re: Porting status
To: Mark Wickens <>
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/23/2005 12:18:07

On Wed, 2005-11-23 11:05:56 +0000, Mark Wickens <
> wrote:
> Is there any active work being done on the VAX port (other than Blaz's=20
> stirling efforts)? Are the rumours about VAX support in gcc being dropped=
> current developments true?

That's true, somewhat.

The VAX support basically works. (Indeed, the .md file is quite small
and there isn't much room to actually *hide* bugs in:-)

What is about to be removed is the netbsd target (a.out based). The
netbsdelf target is ment to be kept. I'm also (slowly, as time and
(even more important) knowledge allows) working on the vax-linux
target. vax-linux-uclibc works mostly (there's just one bug that
really grave, uclibc's function to call one of the stat syscalls and
convert the result into a userland stat struct is wrongly assembled).

Another buglet is that I needed to switch off dwarf2 debug infos
entirly. These had been broken during some core reorg/rewriting about
half a year ago (the very same problem hit hppa, too, so Dave Anglin,
who's maintainer for exactly these two archs, also knows about this.)
In my private patch queue
there's one patch to disable it. If you've got some spare time, please
try to fix it. (If you've got even more spare time, let's have an IRC
session so I actually learn more about GCCs internals.)

So I think you don't need to worry about the VAX backend, as long as
we talk about the netbsdelf target.

Jan-Benedict Glaw    . +49-172-7608481             =
_ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  =
_ _ O
 f=C3=BCr einen Freien Staat voll Freier B=C3=BCrger"  | im Internet! |   i=
m Irak!   O O O
ret =3D do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(NEW_COPYRIGHT_LAW | DRM | TCPA)=

Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)