Subject: Re: SPXg support, last call
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/22/2005 13:30:56
Hello,

HW font rendering is working on my SPXg and is considerably faster than
SW rendering on same hardware. I tested it using 8x15 font but it should
work with any font width of which is multiple of 8 and possibly 4 (I
haven't tested unaligned operations yet). Scrolling seems to be working
alright as well but I haven't tested row/column insertion yet (any
suggestions on which app to use for this ?). Console switching also
works properly so as far as I'm concerned this driver is pretty much
finished. Bigger font glyphs should increase the performance.

Everything *should* work on LCSPX as well but it's untested because I
don't have a functional machine with LCSPX right now. HW font rendering
- if it works as expected - should hopefully give LCSPX on 4000/9x the
edge to finally be faster at console output than LCG on 4000/60 (at 2-3x
the raw CPU power, sigh).

One potential problem remaining: cursor position bias is currently
hardcoded into driver. I was told that cursor bias changes with the
pixel clock (= with different refresh rates). I haven't found a way to
determine which refresh rate the framebuffer is operating at just yet so
this needs to be solved somehow. Any ideas other than kernel
compile-time option ?

I'm off to pruning the debugging code snippets out of the sources and
rearranging things a bit :-) I will need testers in the near future.

Blaz Antonic
--
Hi! I'm a signature virus!
Copy me into your signature to help me spread!