Subject: Re: SPXg support, last call
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/16/2005 13:41:12
Hello,

I received identification information for LCSPX on 4000/9x (plus I've
got my SPXg on 4000/9x identified). I'm still missing information for
SPXg/gt on VS 4000/60.

I'm approximately halfway through with the new driver which should
support both LCSPX and SPXg for VS 4000/9x out of the box (and also SPX
for 3100 with minimal modifications to identification code). Even though
I don't have 4000/60 (with SPXg/gt) I have added code which should work
on that particular combination of hardware as well as soon as somebody
adds appropriate identification code (same story as with 3100 SPX - code
is there but ignores this combination of hardware in order not to screw
something up).

I have a question though before I get on with my work:
How soon in booting process is vax_confdata initialized (= filled with
data from config register) ?

I'm trying to figure out how early I can stop this driver from executing
further if neither LCSPX nor SPXg/gt is present. This way I'll avoid
bringing the system down the way in-kernel lcspx.c does now on machines
without that particular framebuffer option. With glass console I can
apparently do that in driver's *probe() function but I'm not entirely
sure about serial console though - should I do it in *match() or
*attach() function ?

Blaz Antonic
--
Hi! I'm a signature virus!
Copy me into your signature to help me spread!