Subject: GENERIC kernel boot failure on VS 4000/9x with non-LCSPX framebuffer
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/15/2005 12:52:27
Hello,

This illustrates the reason for my asking for framebuffer IDs yesterday
(I've recieved 0 IDs in 18 hours ...): in-kernel LCSPX driver doesn't
check whether LCSPX option is present at all and just assumes that
happens to be the case. GENERIC kernel (from main FTP site) consequently
stops booting at wsdisplay. Installation image will boot, allowing one
to compile their own kernel without framebuffer drivers. People with
SPXg/SPXgt in their VS 4000/9x should be able to verify this (yes, you
Antonio :-)).

Suggested solution: please remove this driver from the source tree
entirely or at the very least exclude it from GENERIC config file - that
driver braindead (1 bpp B/W, no palette changing, no H/W cursor, no
acceleration, hideous hard-coded miniscule 8x15 font, etc.).

It is crucial that such assumptions be fixed. I never fixed them in my
code until now either and the result was 8+ hours wasted tinkering with
DHCPd (just use bootpd instead if you're stuck netbooting NetBSD!),
first stage bootloader (use NetBSD 1.5.3 version of bootloader and
bootloader alone!), arp (insert entry manually or kernel load via NFS
might fail depending on NFS server OS) and various kernels to finally
get a working build that will let me back into my Vax :-/

Blaz Antonic
--
Hi! I'm a signature virus!
Copy me into your signature to help me spread!