Subject: Re: Keyboard connection for a vaxstation 4000/60
To: Stanley Reynolds <stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/29/2005 17:56:44
On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Stanley Reynolds wrote:

> --- bart sikkes <b.sikkes@student.utwente.nl> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Thanks Jan-Benedict and Dave for you answers. Ill
> > try looking for such a
> > keyboard.
> >
> > In the meantime I was, as advised, trying to get a
> > terminal hooked up. Is in
> > this case it also "needed" to have a dec terminal?
> > Because I got a wyse
> > wy-50 and a texas instuments (don't really see a
> > type number anywhere)
>
> I don't think a wy-50 emulates dec or ANSI terminals,
> several PC based terminal emulators do.
> http://vt100.net/wyse/wy-50-qrg/wy-50-qrg.pdf (user
> guide for wy-50)

Who cares?
A serial terminal is a serial terminal. They will all work.
If you expect something fancy to happen when you press arrow buttons, or
run a program that formats the screen somehow, then you might not get the
expected result, but that's the problem of the application in that case.
The terminal will work just fine.

And if you set the TERM variable correctly, everything else should work as
expected as well.

> > laying around and I tried to hook both up but I
> > didn't get any readable
> > output on them. Both via the MMJ and DB25 connector
> > that is. But I did
> > notice I could setup these terminals so perhaps they
> > have to wrong settings
> > to give usuable output currently. Any advise on this
> > would be welcome?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > bart
> >

> If the baud settings are right 9600 7 space or 8bit no
> then you should see something, try swaping pins 2,3 or
> use a null cable or adapter.

That depends on what the VAXstation is using. But 9600,8N,1 is probably
what it is set for, yes.

	Johnny