Subject: SPXg/SPXgt support
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/22/2005 10:54:23
Hello,

Thanks to a German NetBSD supporter I got ahold of SPXg framebuffer. I
have already started working on it. It is somewhat different from
(LC)SPX options but that was to be expected. Performance in 4000/9x is
likely to be the same as that of LCSPX - bearable, but nothing
extraordinary (on par with LCG in 4000/60 because so many CPU cycles
will go to waste on *SPX* breed of framebuffers). This being said, I
could use some input from others on two things:

1: My SPXg reports itself as "SPXG  2Mpixel FB Highres 66Hz  V1.3" with
show config prompt command (without the two additional SIMMs inserted -
I forgot to put them in at first and then noticed that the card passes
self-tests without them anyway, I suppose these are only used as
Z-buffer). If you have a Vaxstation 4000 model 60 or 9x with SPXg/SPXgt
option please let me know what report string you get.

Why do I want to know that ? There are Lowres (1024x864 ?) SPXg and
SPXgt models mentioned in ROM; DEC docs only mention Highres (1280x1024)
models so I want to know whether I should bother with resolution
checking at all (this is huge PITA) or just assume that DEC docs are
right, ROM is wrong and there never was anything like Lowres SPXg/SPXgt.
Ditto for LCSPX, it contains model strings for Lowres version but they
were apparently never manufactured.

2: My SPXg framebuffer uses some oddball Bt460 RAMDAC. It is physically
larger than Bt459 and it is mapped differently in Vaxstation address
space (16 direct registers as opposed to only 4 of Bt459). Old Brooktree
webpages (thank you WebArchive :-) don't even mention this obscure Bt460
chip, not even as a "relative" of some other RAMDAC family. If anybody
has *any* info on it please let me know - anything could help; layout of
direct registers, bitfields, mentions of related Brooktree DACs,
anything. If you SPXg/gt uses different RAMDAC please let me know - this
might provide clues as to which family of RAMDACs this Bt460 belongs to.

Full chip name of mine is Bt460KG135. I have also found references to
110 MHz version of this chip in one of those online IC catalogs
(PartMiner ?) but I don't have access to their datasheet repository nor
do I feel like coughing out $10 just for getting a look at the PDF
datasheet which they never paid a friggin dime for in the first place
(but ultimately just might have to do that :-( ... damn leeches).

3: Was there ever such a thing as DECWindows source listings (akin to
VMS source listings) ? X11 server listings, to be more specific ?

Blaz Antonic
--
Hi! I'm a signature virus!
Copy me into your signature to help me spread!