Subject: Re: RE: VERY slow ssh logins to uVAX
To: NetBSD/vax Discussion List <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/05/2005 15:01:40
On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 05:25:44PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> How are you going to get code using algorithms that rely on
> floating-point to go as fast as integer-only code just by recompiling?

I was thinking vax is/was similar to the sparc case, in which
recompiling libssl with different compiler flags made/makes a huge
performance difference.

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-sparc/2002/03/13/0006.html

which crypto algorithms use floating point?

> Note that SSH-3 from ssh.com, aka pkgsrc/security/ssh2, doesn't use
> libssl at all -- it's much faster than that!  :-)

and here I was assuming that security/ssh2 was openssh...

now where did I put my jump-to-conclusions mat?