Subject: Re: Old GCC causes problems in -current build
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/14/2005 09:08:24
--Zljh9u/ceMLi+8mf

On Mon, 2005-03-14 07:53:48 +0100, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@eunetnorge.no>
wrote in message <86vf7u3egz.fsf@athene.hamartun.priv.no>:
[...]
> Are we stuck at GCC 2.95 for the VAX?  If so, I guess this code should
> be changed to accommodate it, right?

For now, it seems so. However, gcc-2.95 is also a problem for the Linux
people (ie. you can't really compile any newer glibc with it, ...). So
this is something that really _needs_ to be fixed at some time, if we
want to continue to support out nice operating systems for VAXen.

I recently (again) started to do toolchain hacking (you've seen a first
patch from me, for binutils, fixing decoding of functions), but I'm not
yet really at the point where I'd fix GCC (neither for NetBSD, nor for
Linux). GCC needs a lot of background knowledge that I don't yet have.
However, if anybody who already knows how it "works" offered to give me
some nice intro (maybe on IRC), I guess the overall situation could be
improved.

MfG, JBG

--=20
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw@lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             =
_ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  =
_ _ O
 fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier B=C3=BCrger" | im Internet! |   im Ira=
k!   O O O
ret =3D do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(NEW_COPYRIGHT_LAW | DRM | TCPA)=
);

--Zljh9u/ceMLi+8mf

--Zljh9u/ceMLi+8mf--