Subject: Re: How to make VaxStation 3100 automatically boot NetBSD?
To: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/10/2005 11:22:46
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Blaz Antonic wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> I have SET BOOT DKA100 (I'm using the SCSI 0 disk as the boot device),
>> and in fact the NetBSD boot loader kicks in on startup. However, after
>> counting down it just stops at the > prompt, and I still have to
>> manually enter "boot netbsd".
>
> There's also set halt command (you want a half level of 2 instead of 3).
> Alas i think NetBSD clobbers that particular register on 3100 series so
> it always resets back to 3. It works on 4000 series Vaxstations though,
> shutdown -r will get system restarted there and shutdown -h will halt it
> at >>> prompt.

In this case, he obviously do get the boot program loaded and running,
it's just that it stops at the ">" prompt after the countdown.
Ragge have already responded, but it's worth repeating - this is related
to the boot flags (register R5).

As for the action upon halt and power on, that flag governs if the boot
program is even loaded or not. The 3100/76 did clobber this before, but it
was recently fixed. I don't know about the other 3100-models, but if it
don't work there, someone should try to fix it.

 	Johnny