Subject: Re: netbsd/vax newbie :)
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: gl :) <gl@decadence.it>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/26/2004 15:46:51
On 2004.12.12 20:28, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 12, 2004 at 03:14:07PM +0000, gl :) wrote:
> > I've lurked so much the mailing list and at last I found some spare
> > time for installing the new NetBSD release on my VAXstation
> > 4000/90.
>=20
> congratulations.

congratulations to you and everyone who made this possible! :)
my first NetBSD experience a couple of years ago gone bad (probably my =20
fault) but with 2.0 everything works pretty good and I'm already =20
getting familiar with it.
Good work! Well done guys! :)))

> > I've just one question for you.  Since I found there is no
> > packages/2.0/vax section on ftp.netbsd.org I  started recompiling
> we don't accept pre-built packages from third parties to the ftp
> archive on ftp.NetBSD.org for security reasons.  i believe the =20
> official packages will apear sometime in the next weeks.  of course, =20
> nothing stops you from publishing your packages somewhere on the =20
> internet and let people know about it.  it's up to them whether they =20
> will trust them or not.

Yes, it's right, the only source which should be trusted is the =20
official site.
I was just thinking there wouldn't have been a vax binary package tree =20
any more but now that I know it would be done, I feel better! :))
I found that recompiling packages on VS4000/90 is fast enough and I've =20
done some work to fit NetBSD to my personal use (vim, links, wget...)
Since older vaxen are not as fast, maybe these packages are useful to =20
someone, so I put them on:

http://decadence.it/netbsd-vax

Happy vax year! :)
gl :)