Subject: Re: Obtaining CPU serial number from within NetBSD?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/17/2004 09:34:05
At 07:03 AM 12/17/2004, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
>I guess that this sticker was just wrongly attached...

Yes the cases for the 4000/60 and 4000/90 were identical. This allowed DEC
to sell an upgrade which consisted of a new motherboard. Another check is
that the 4000/60 has memory on the motherboard so with no SIMMs install it
still has 4MB. (with the top off you can see these as vertical simm chips
on the main board.

DEC didn't "mislabel it" someone perhaps needed a case with better
cosmetics or a place to put an M60 motherboard.

I've also seen a couple of folks on Ebay do this in order to get a better
price for a 4000/60 motherboard. I asked one guy to send me a picture of
the motherboard (he had everything else) and he refused which lead me to
believe he knew what he was doing :-(.

People with poor manners aside, the 4000/60 is a lovely VAX and decently
fast for running NetBSD and Linux, and you can even get framebuffer support
for it now so you can run X.

--Chuck