Subject: Obtaining CPU serial number from within NetBSD?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/16/2004 22:48:40
Howdy folks,

How does one obtain the CPU serial number from within either NetBSD or
the >>> prompt?

My case claims to be a 4000/90, yet my CPU is a KA46. Looking through
http://netbsd.binarycompass.org/Documentation/Hardware/Machines/DEC/vax/vaxstations.html#vaxstations:vaxstation_4000_m60
I have thought that the /90s were KA49 CPUs, and the /60s were the KA46.

Oddly, the case also claims that it's a serious BA46A ... that doesn't
seem to fit with the 4000/90 sticker. Is there maybe a piece of Vax
history that I don't know that would explain this? It's a mystery that
I'd love to solve.

-T

--
"Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion."
    -- Democritus, as quoted in _Lives of the Eminent Philosophers_