Subject: Re: NetBSD/vax 2.0 on simh
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/14/2004 15:36:10
On Dec 14, 2004, at 8:30 AM, Brian Hechinger wrote:
>> 1.706 VUPS! Wow! That's a whole 70% faster than a VAX-11/780!!!
>> What performance! :-)
>
> heh, you know, it would have been far more useful if i could have
> gotten
> it to run VMS, since that was the whole reason of installing simh.  ;)

   I'm happily running both VMS and NetBSD/vax (v1.6.1) under SIMH.  I'm
generally a guy who prefers real hardware over emulators, but SIMH
allows me to run VAX and PDP operating systems on my laptop when I'm
away from home.

> but, i should be picking my VS4000/90 up from my parents' house on
> x-mas
> when i go there for dinner, so i will finally have one of my proper
> vaxen
> to run stuff on.

   Very tasty.

> now to go get the VAX 4000s, 6000s and 7000s...........  ;)

   Indeed.  Does NetBSD/vax deal with VAX6000-family machines yet?  I'm
pretty sure there's no 7000 support.  If anyone wants to hack on the
7000 stuff, I can make a machine available with remote console access.

   You have my 8350 up there somewhere...If you have space for that,
maybe you should grab that as well and spin up some tasty
multiprocessor VAX goodness?

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire             "I wonder what 'Error Code 1' means. That's
Cape Coral, FL            what it said when it started smoking."