Subject: NFS problems on NetBSD 1.6
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Patrick Finnegan <pat@computer-refuge.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/28/2004 01:27:06
So, I'm (trying) to run NetBSD 1.6, currently using the 1.6.2 kernel
that's available from ftp.netbsd.org, to run a diskless VAX 4000/300.
Every so often, I manage to get the machine into an unusable state,
where it appears to freeze up an nfs mount, coinciding with this
console message repeated several times:

ze0: xmit logic died, resetting...

Does anyone have any hits to help me get around this problem?  As the
4000/300 has a SHAC for its disk controller, I can't easily just put
disks into the machine to boot off of.  If necessary, I could try a
QBUS ethernet controller (DEQNA), but I'd prefer to find a solution to
fix the problems with the on-CPU ethernet controller.

The problem is repeatable, and I think coincides with small-data size
nfs accesses.  I can, however, use telnet to connect to the machine
without causing problems from the telnet connection, and other NFS
mounts on the machine seem to be unaffected when one locks up.  As
well, this problem occurred starting with the pre-release 1.6 kernel I
tried, and still happens with a 1.6.2 kernel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/