Subject: Re: HOWTO: Install to local disk on a netbooted 4000/60?
To: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/16/2004 19:51:25
--RnJrRQAAra/DEsCe

On Fri, 2004-07-16 11:31:02 -0600, Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.m=
ontana.edu>
wrote in message <Pine.ULT.4.44.0407161128470.202-100000@lightning.msu.mont=
ana.edu>:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 ragge@ludd.luth.se wrote:
> >
> > Hm, something doesn't work as expectet :-/
>=20
> Another possibility is that the kernel didn't get installed on the disk.
> You should be able to verify this by booting the install kernel again, go
> into the utilities menu and run /bin/sh.  Then mount the disk and do an
> 'ls' on it and see if netbsd exists.
ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-2-0/200407090000/vax/instal=
lation/miniroot/miniroot.fs.gz
doesn't actually offer a menu, but I'll just try to get into that. Ah,
I've just found somethink in the script of my installation:

Extract more sets? [n]=20
Copying fstab...done.
Copying ifconfig.ze0...done.
Copying hosts...done.
Copying myname...done.
Copying mygate...done.
Copying resolv.conf...done.
Installing timezone link...done.
Making devices...done.
WARNING: No /netbsd-GENERIC!  Please install /netbsd manually!
Installing boot block...
Syncing disks...done.
Umounting filesystems... /mnt/usr /mnt Done.

CONGRATULATIONS!  You have successfully installed NetBSD!
To boot the installed system, enter halt at the command prompt. Once the
system has halted, reset the machine and boot from the disk.

So there isn't a kernel at all:) Will try to install that manually.

MfG, JBG

--=20
    fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier B=FCrger" | im Internet! |   im Ira=
k!
   ret =3D do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(NEW_COPYRIGHT_LAW | DRM | TC=
PA));

--RnJrRQAAra/DEsCe

--RnJrRQAAra/DEsCe--