Subject: Re: Looking for various LCSPX model strings
To: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/15/2004 21:06:13
--8HHeiRpSfOSMcPVo

On Thu, 2004-07-15 19:46:39 -0700, Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
wrote in message <40F7418F.7B18@siol.net>:
> Hello,
>=20
> >    Cool. :-)  Buy me some plane tickets and consider me an American
> > refugee trying to escape a corrupt regime. :)
>=20
> Riiight ... it wasn't me who was implying that the likes of me should
> "dump the crappy ISP and give the business to one who will give you
> static addresses". While i don't mind  (and came to expect) an
> ideological remark here and there (when on topic, as in on the subject
> of OSes in our case) this kind of babbling really irritates me - if it
> was that easy people would do it already, don't you think ? Could there

It's just about costs. If you reserve one IP address per customer, you
need N addresses. If you dynamically assign them, you can bet on only
x% of your customers are concurrently online. So you only need x*N/100
addresses, which is (especially for a small ISP that has to buy those
addresses from his upstream partner) waaay cheaper. OTOH, I would be
mostly happy if I got some static IPv6 addresses (not freenet6.net) from
my ISP, omitting all the legacy IPv4 stuff:)

MfG, JBG

--=20
    fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier B=FCrger" | im Internet! |   im Ira=
k!
   ret =3D do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(NEW_COPYRIGHT_LAW | DRM | TC=
PA));

--8HHeiRpSfOSMcPVo

--8HHeiRpSfOSMcPVo--