Subject: Re: vs3100/3x SCSI broken in 2.0_BETA?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/26/2004 16:22:06
--/Uq4LBwYP4y1W6pO

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:54:38PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 05:44:56PM +0200, Paul Kranenburg wrote:
> > see scsipi_base.c, rev 1.102.
> >=20
> > I have pending query with Manuel about this issue:
> >=20
> >=20
> > the initial test unit ready
> > when attaching a drive returns an EIO error resulting in a "drive offli=
ne"
> > message. This is because the drive issues a "unit attention" after
> > the initial scsi bus reset of the adapter. Previously, this condition
> > would just generate an ERESTART.  But in the probe phase, XS_CTL_DISCOV=
ERY
> > is used which forces the # of retries to 0, causing the unit attention
> > to return EIO and hence, the test unit ready to fail.
>=20
> Hum, it's strange that it's the test unit ready which is affected by this.
> the first command after the bus reset is the inquiry.
> Maybe inquiry is special regarding sense conditions.

Yes, it is. SAM-3 (and SAM-2 before it) describe that certain commands=20
will enter the task set even if a Unit Attention condition is pending.=20
This is covered in section 5.9.7 of SAM-3. Not sure of the section in=20
SAM-2.

INQUIRY neither reports nor clears the pending UA.

REPORT LUNS enters the task set (is performed) and clears any pending UA=20
related to a change in the LU inventory.

REQUEST SENSE shall report GOOD status and either report the UA as=20
parameter data, or report a unit attention and report the UA data as=20
parameter data. The UA is then removed.

Take care,

Bill

--/Uq4LBwYP4y1W6pO