Subject: LCG & 4k m60/VLC keyboard issues
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/03/2004 20:00:23
Hello,

Or i should say woohoo, thanks to Michael Hitch i can now use glass tty
on my VS 4k/60 :-) Just in case if you missed the point of his post to
the mailing list (like i did), the key to getting keybaord to work is to
add

pseudo-device	wsmux

line to your kernel config file, along with end-of-line character (Asi
learned the hard way ... stupid config).

Anyway, with this working i suppose it's time to clear the bugs now - i
noticed virtual console switching doesn't work as expected (ALT+Fn
produces a beep of unusual pitch while CTRLK+ALT+Fn produces a beep of
standard pitch, enither changes the virtual console as it should, if my
understanding is correct). Another problem is software cursor - if you
move it rapidly across the screen (say by holding down backspace key and
deleting text you typed before) it will leave a trace of cursor line
charcters, depending on whether it was about to get cleared or not
before it got moved. One way of resolving the latter problem seems to be
keeping a track of cursor position and erasing pixels when artifact
would remain on screen otherwise (kludgy) or using hardware cursor,
simply enabling/disabling rendering of hardware cursor bitmap in the
softwasre cursor routine - this seems to be the better way and that's
how 'd like to do it.

All of you (that'd be what, all two of you ?) who tested out lcg.c on
your model 60 / VLC before please add the abovementioned line to your
kernel config file and try to play with LCG console code further. Note
that i use serial console as default, meaning /dev/ttywN are my
"additional" screens, not the main screens. Based on what Ragge and
Michael have told me i guess fixing lcg.c to correctly identify position
of S3 switch is all it would take to work with glass console set up
instead of serial console; that means you have to substitute

confdata & 8

with

conftdata & 0x100

in lcgcnprobe() in lcg.c, add needs-flag to arch/vax/conf/files.vax
entry for lcg and finally adding an entry resembling the one for SMG to
arch/vax/vax/conf.c (just substitute all occurences of smg with lcg and
all occurences of SMG with LCG in it). If anybody has the chance to try
it out (and the nerves to flip S3 dip switch all the time; that means
carwling under my desk in my case :-))) please let me know if you get
kernel output on glass tty (/dev/ttyw0 = /dev/console) afterwards.

And bugs reports that i haven't noticed yet (only few minutes of testing
on my part so far :-)) would be welcome - send them to me directly
and/or CC the mailing list so others know they've been reported already
so they can either add more info if they feel it's necessary or they
don't re-report same bug.

I wonder how to switch virtual consoles ... i think i have 8 set up, i'd
like to access all 8 :-)

Blaz Antonic