Subject: Re: VS 4k 7930 audio progress report
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/15/2004 21:43:01
Hello,

> > This is part of dmesg of my most recent kernel which got MI am7930 to
> > partially cooperate with me.
> 1. what kind of audio does the vaxstation (4000) has? 8/16bit, freq, etc..

8 bit 8 KHz mono :-) What did you expect, DEC used an ISDN controller
chip to generate sound ....

> 2. Where's the source?

Here :) Most sources are in kernel already (machine independent stuff).
Machine dependent code and modifications to certain arch specific files
needed to get it compiled will be avaliable tomorrow if i make it work
or if i lose interest in it because of stupid problems (gotta try to
find a suitable major number, i suspected that one too). Either way, it
will be avaliable soon :-)

> My 2 cents: I'm happy with the current fonts, but keyboard and scrolling
> support would be neat :) By the way, how come netbsd doesn't print kernel
> messages during boot time, despite the LCG support?

Both are beyond the scope of this driver, i'm certain about the former
and pretty sure about the latter. If anybody ever got SMG driver for
VS3100 to emit kernel output during boot-up it's good time to speak up.
Driver gets initialized more than halfway through kernel booting process
so it couldn't emit text before that (i think), i suppose it doesn't
emit text past the point of framebuffer and wscons initialisation
because it started with console elsewhere (serial) beforehand - it makes
sense that those messages appear on console only.

Blaz Antonic
--
Hi! I'm a signature virus!
Copy me into your signature to help me spread!