Subject: Re: Objdump output question
To: Kenn Humborg <kenn@bluetree.ie>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/10/2004 08:09:24
On Feb 10, 2004, at 2:25 AM, Kenn Humborg wrote:

>>> Nitpick:  it's been a while, but IIRC doesn't MACRO-32 use ^X not 0x
>>> right?
>>
>> Someone else wrote me off-list pointing out that 0x was wrong,
>> uncertainly suggesting %X.  Yes, I forgot about the base notation when
>> concentrating on the indirect and literal notation.  (Of the two, ^X
>> looks more likely to me; I do clearly remember ^B, ^S, ^W, etc, for
>> specifying various sizes.)
>
> You're thinking of L^, W^, B^ and S^ for qualifying the type of an
> operand.  So you could see
>
>    movl #L^^X12, r0
>    movl #W^^X12, r0
>    movl #B^^X12, r0
>    movl #S^^X12, r0

Not quite true.  Most of those will cause the assembler to complain.

movl b^sym, r0

specifies using a byte offset from the PC to access r0 instead of the
default longword.

movl w^symoff(r5), r0

which produces a word offset and 16-bit relocation instead of the
default 32.

--
Matt Thomas                     email: matt@3am-software.com
3am Software Foundry              www: http://3am-software.com/bio/matt/