Subject: RE: Found DEC branded AU, need specs
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Antonio Carlini <arcarlini@iee.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/18/2004 16:22:06
> I simply needed confirmation of what the name on it did mean.

DESTA stands (IIRC) for Digital Ethernet Station Adapter. As others
have pointed out, you use to to allow a device with a "thickwire"
interface to connect to a "thinwire" run. In the "thickwire"
implementation the host had a connection called AUI (attached
unit interface?) that was connected via AUI cable to a transceiver
that was directly connected to the ethernet backbone cable (usually
via a vampire tap). An example of such a transceiver (H4000) can
be seen here: http://208.190.133.201/decimages/h4000tmp.pdf.

When thinwire came along (basically a long RG58 cable with a 50 ohm
terminator at each end and T-pieces everwhere you wanted to add a
station), the DESTA was the way to hook up the older-style interface
to the new-style (and easier to use) network cable.

I thought I had a manual for one, but apparently not.

There are other variants (with names that I forget) that do
AUI-to-RJ45 and a powered one that goes from Thinwire to
RJ45.

Antonio

--

Antonio Carlini             arcarlini@iee.org