Subject: RE: Found DEC branded AU, need specs
To: Gregg C Levine <hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/18/2004 01:06:07
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, Gregg C Levine wrote:

> Hello (again) from Gregg C Levine
> Thanks go to Johnny Billquist, and of course Matt Thomas, for
> correctly identifying that device. I deliberately left off the wire
> identifier for the attachment end, since I did know that it was a
> 10BASE-2 device that attached to the thicknet end.

Correction. It does not attach to a thicknet end, it attaches to an AUI. A
ticknet end would be a (possibly vampire tap) transciever.

> I simply needed confirmation of what the name on it did mean. In fact
> the both of you gave much of the same material, and actually provided
> new meaning to the concepts behind the organization of this list.
> Dave, your next. You provided an interesting position statement on the
> thing, but I needed more about it.
>
> And yes, Matt, I did find a cable wearing a T style connector, and a
> terminator. As I was typing that out, and this thank you note, I
> recalled somewhere that the terminated end of a coax cable typically
> indicated the end or beginning of an Ethernet network. Now the biggest
> problem will be putting it to work.

A thinwire is easy. You basically have a wire with terminators at each
end. Along the way you put T connectors, which maintain the thin coax, and
forks off a connector which you hook to your transciever.

Note that you cannot, and should not, connect two thinwire transcievers
directory to each other, but both should be hooked up to that terminated
thinwire.

	Johnny