Subject: Re: What qbus scsi tape controller do I need for Cipher decks?
To: None <Robertdkeys@aol.com>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/12/2004 01:19:36
On Jan 12, 2004, at 12:47 AM, Robertdkeys@aol.com wrote:
> I was having to clean the drive after every three tape passes.
> To do that I had the drive sticking out the front of the machine
> and sitting on a small stool, with the lid off the drive so I could
> lift up the tape head and pass some rubbing alcohol on a clean
> swab, across it.  Then it got to two passes, and then to one
> pass.  Then the tapes started to just crumble and dust all over
> the drive.  At that point it was obvious the tapes were in a state
> of decomposition.  So much for TK50.....(:+{{.....
>
> The HD controllers I have don't support tape, unless I can find
> an eprom update for one of them.  The other does not at all.
> So... off to find a tape card.....of some sort.....

   This eBay auction ended with no bids:
   http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2777920402

   ...if your machine is in the right type of chassis, you might try
contacting the seller to see if he still has the board.  It was listed
twice and ended with no bids each time...probably because it's
tape-only. :)

        -Dave