Subject: Re: KZQSA support
To: Lord Isildur <mrfusion@uranium.club.cc.cmu.edu>
From: Lyle Bickley <lbickley@bickleywest.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/09/2004 11:21:32
The KZQSA is a simple SCSI interface.  Folks keep saying that it's slow - but
I've run "benchmarks" on load time for VMS - and it runs as fast as other
more "sophisticated" SCSI interfaces, like the Enulex UC07 which has
buffering, etc.  I would say it runs as fast or faster than the "native" DSSI
drives (primarily because you can use SCSI drives with better seek time ;-)

Note that if you are doing database work, then there will be more of a
difference because of it's lack of buffering, etc.

In addtion, the KZQSA is limited to a two SCSI drive "load" - and DEC is not
kidding - I've tried more drives and it becomes error prone.

Typically, I've only used a KZQSA as the boot SCSI (CDROM/HDD) for VMS, as it
is simple and convenient.

Note: The above observations are for a VAX 4000/300 and VAX 4000/600 running
the recent version(s) of VMS for VAX.

Lyle

--
Lyle Bickley