Subject: Re: KZQSA support
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Charles H. Dickman <chd_1@nktelco.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/08/2004 20:09:07
Jochen Kunz wrote:

>On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 21:22:18 +0100 (MET)
><ragge@ludd.luth.se> wrote:
>

>>KZQSA, isn't that the DEC QBUS MSCP-speaking SCSI adapter?
>>In that case it should just work.
>>

>AFAIK it is not MSCP. It seams to be some NCR 53C?? with QBus glue
>logic. Maybe you have
>M5977-AA    RQZX1 Q  Qbus to SCSI disk (MSCP) and tape (TMSCP) adapter
>in mind.

I have one of these KZQSA and did some research on it, thinking it was a
means of getting QBUS SCSI. From what I could tell it had some DEC chip
called SII on it. Looking at the sources to ULTRIX it is very similar to
the SCSI controller that is part of the NetBSD pmax port. The hardware
header files are almost identical with a few more registers in the KZQSA.

The board has jumpers to set a CSR address and also a BASE address. I
put the board into a microPDP-11 and a block of memory 128k bytes long
showed up in the Qbus address space starting at the BASE address. That
seemed to make it unsuitable for the microPDP-11.

The interesting thing to me is that NetBSD pmax port may already include
much of the code to support the SII chip.