Subject: Re: Random musings on the relative speed of things
To: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/10/2003 10:18:49
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 00:24:10 -0500 (EST)
Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org> wrote:

> >    What we need to do is really frob the build system to run on a
> > completely different OS.  I just brought up a sixteen-processor SGI
> > Origin 2000 with 4GB of RAM here. :)
>=20
> Nah, we just need to port NetBSD/sgimips to it.
Last time I talked to a MIPS hacker there was still no 64 bit MIPS ABI.
Or was it some essential, non-trivial compiler magic that was missing?

Anyway: The O2000 machines have a rather complex NUMA architecture and I
highly doubt that SGI will release any information about it. This
techinc is the capital of SGI. It makes this machines scale up to 512
CPUs and TBs of RAM running a single kernel instance.

BTW: I tried to cross build NetBSD on an Octane R12k running IRIX 6.5.20
and it faild. To much of the tools is tied to a *BSD / Linux / ???
environement. Thats bad. As GCC still has 64 / 32 bit bugs (at least
when building hppa code) I have to use a 100 MHz PPC604 machine for
building instead of e.g. an Alpha. (IRIX compilers generate 32 bit
binaries by default.)
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen