Subject: Re: Random musings on the relative speed of things
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Thomas Dzubin <dzubint@vcn.bc.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/09/2003 12:44:43
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, James K. Lowden wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org> wrote:
> > What I'm wondering though is, how long does this sort of compile take
> > to run on a more contemporary system?  Only a few seconds?  (That's a
> > rhetorical question.)
>
> Of course it's rhetorical.  What's a "contemporary VAX"?  :-)

That made me think...
I would be interesting to see the speed of a full compile under SIMH/vax
running on a top-of-the-line (speedwise  2.4Ghz?) Intel box
Maybe that can be used to solve the cross-compile problems that have
been discussed recently?

(if a VAX cross-compile on a Intel x86 (Pentium-whatever) works, but
the same compile on a true hardware VAX fails...could this troubleshooting
 be helped by running SIMH/vax on the Intel box if the compile speed is
fast enough?)

Thomas Dzubin