Subject: Random musings on the relative speed of things
From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/08/2003 20:48:35
A couple of hours ago I installed an i386 build of -current with SMP
support enabled on my cross-compile host.  This is a fairly old
discarded dual-Pentium Pro 200MHz system; I literally saved it from the
trash heap.  It's extremely slow by today's standards.

Now that I can make use of both of its processors, I've added a '-j 3'
to my build command line.  The result is that I'm finding that a kernel
cross-compile now takes only 10 mins.  That same compile takes close to
12hrs running natively on my VS4000/VLC.  It's no big surprise, such is
the nature of our beloved VAX.

What I'm wondering though is, how long does this sort of compile take
to run on a more contemporary system?  Only a few seconds?  (That's a
rhetorical question.)

-brian.