Subject: Re: Building current...
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/07/2003 01:19:37
On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Brian Chase wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Dec 2003, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> > So I have no idea how it will work out at my end.
> > gcc built alright for you then? I wonder if it works...
>
> Yes, it got built, but I'm not counting on it working.  I've tarred up
> the results from that build and have started a new one with today's cvs
> updates.  I still need to build a kernel, but once that's done I'll see
> if the "not-quite-successful" build works.

The cross-compiled build ended up hitting fewer snags, so I was able to
put together something that seems to be working for me.  It's running
multiuser and I can compile "Hello, world!".

  tanka: {11} uname -a
  NetBSD tanka 1.6ZG NetBSD 1.6ZG (GENERIC) #1: Sat Dec  6 20:41:54 EST 2003
  root@duh.jarai.org:/u0/work/netbsd-current/src/sys/arch/vax/compile/obj/GENERIC
  vax

Maybe I'm just delusional with joy after having fought this thing for so
long, but this kernel seems as if it's zippier than that of the 1.6.1
release.

Something that surprised me was that gcc for VAX -current is still 2.95.

  tanka: {12} gcc -v
  Using builtin specs.
  gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release) (NetBSD nb4)

For some reason I'd thought everything had already been moved over to
gcc 3.x.

-brian.