Subject: RE: VAX/VMS Time
To: , <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Luke Brennan <lukeb@microsoft.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/02/2003 08:59:19
 http://vms.tuwien.ac.at/info/humour/vms-base-time-origin.txt

-----Original Message-----
From: port-vax-owner@NetBSD.org [mailto:port-vax-owner@NetBSD.org] On
Behalf Of adam.r.pigg@bnfl.com
Sent: Monday, 1 December 2003 11:18 PM
To: port-vax@netbsd.org
Subject: VAX/VMS Time

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could explain to me how a vax/vms system (3100
m38) keeps track of time internally.

I read on the internet that it uses a 64 bit number that counts in 100
nano
second intervals starting from the 'Julian Day'  (Nov 17 1858)
is this correct?  If so how accurate is it because surely there would be
no
way that the clock is this accurate!! :)

I cant remember the terminology (someone jog my memory) but the vax
counts
using the most signigicant bits first doesnt it?  (pc's use least
significant)  If so, what would the result be if copying this 64 bit int
a 32 bit int? I guess it would just loose a lot of its accuracy.

Cheers for any info

Adam Pigg

The information contained in this email may be commercially sensitive
and/or legally privileged. It is intended solely for the person(s) to
whom it is addressed. If you are not a named recipient, you are on
notice of its status. Please notify the sender immediately by reply
e-mail and then delete this message from your system. You must not
disclose it to any other person, copy or distribute it or use it for any
purpose.