Subject: RE: VAXstation 4000 VLC Disk formatting
To: 'Steve Davidson' <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Antonio Carlini <arcarlini@iee.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/25/2003 00:51:49
> Can anyone provide me with the command(s) to format (erase) a
> SCSI drive on a VAXstation 4000 VLC?

If you search this list (or the Linux-VAX one, I forget which) you
should be able to find the thread where someone screwed their drive
up by doing precisely this. I didn't follow the thread to its
conclusion, so I don't know if they undid the damage later.

Why do you want to format it? You could mount it under NetBSD
and wipe its contents that way or do the equivalent under
VMS with INIT/ERASE.

That should be enough to stop anyone other than the security
services (or idiots with way too much time and equipment on
their hands) from seeing what was there.

If you want to format it because it doesn't work in the VLC,
try looking at the OpenVMS FAQ for a bunch of suggestions
about modifying code pages.

Antonio

--

Antonio Carlini             arcarlini@iee.org