Subject: Re: problems building current
To: Gordon Zaft <gordonzaft@yahoo.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/01/2003 11:46:51
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Gordon Zaft wrote:

> I'm sending this here because I suspect it's a problem
> with me and not with -current...

No, it is with current...

> I'm trying to compile -current on my VS3100/38 with
> 16MB memory.  It's running NetBSD 1.6.1.  I get the
> following error:
>
> cc  -O   -o makedoc  makedoc.o ../lib/libtxi.a
> -lcurses ../intl/libintl.a
> makedoc.o: In function `main':
> makedoc.o(.text+0xe7): undefined reference to
> `_libintl_gettext'
> makedoc.o(.text+0x136): undefined reference to
> `_libintl_gettext'
> makedoc.o: In function `fatal_file_error':
> makedoc.o(.text+0x7c4): undefined reference to
> `_libintl_gettext'
> ../lib/libtxi.a(xexit.o): In function `xexit':
> xexit.o(.text+0x23): undefined reference to
> `_libintl_gettext'
> xexit.o(.text+0x54): undefined reference to
> `_libintl_gettext'

[...]

That's a problem I reported a few months ago...
No, you are not the problem. This is the typical case of why
cross-building is not good enough for verification that the build process
is working.

It's a problem with the native gcc on vax. It defines 'USER_LABEL_PREFIX'
to be "_", but in truth, it is just "". texinfo was upgraded a few months
ago to a version which uses USER_LABEL_PREFIX to create symbols, and the
result, as you can see, is symbols which don't exist. The correct symbol
is 'libintl_gettext' without the underscore.

Unfortunately, this is about as far as I have come on the subject. I
haven't put enough time into this to find how to change USER_LABEL_PREFIX
in gcc. And this is a symbol that is defined internally by gcc, and not in
some include file.

As a workaraound, I suggest you modify
/usr/src/gnu/dist/texinfo/intl/libgnuintl.h.in by hand to remove the
reference to USER_LABEL_PREFIX

Sorry that I can't be of more help.

	Johnny