Subject: Re: largest disk in a vs4000/90
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/18/2003 14:03:19
Hi,

> what is the largest disk i can put in a vaxstation 4000/90?  are there any
> boot drive size considerations as well?

(PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!)

At the moment, NetBSD has problems with partitions larger than 4 gigs.
This used to not be the case, but somewhere along the line something got
changed and partitions larger than 4 gigs will become corrupt.

I spent many, many hours trying to figure out what was causing corruption
on my 9 gig disk. When I finally tried out smaller partitions, the
corruption stopped. This was the same disk I used for many bulk builds
with 1.5.x with many months of uptime; the only thing that changed before
the corruption began was an update to a newer version of 1.5.x.

I haven't heard that it's been fixed, but I'd love to hear that it was.

Boot? Someone else will have to let you know about whether the 4000/90 has
issues with the size / location of the boot slice.

John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs