Subject: RE: [ot] Netbooting VMS Install
To: 'Matt Thomas' <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Gregg C Levine <hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/09/2003 00:39:59
Hello from Gregg C Levine
Oh? There's a group based on Source Forge, that is running a
Linux-DECnet project. According to them, once you've turned on the
requisite features inside a standard 2.4.x series kernel for that form
of networking, that is basic DECnet services. And made, and installed
the required items, or installed the necessary items as pre-made
binaries, everything should work, including using the MOP protocols,
with TFTP. Remember, in this wonky world nothing is impossible, except
governments. And a few of my friends are working on that one.
-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."=A0 Obi-Wan Kenobi

On Behalf
> Of Matt Thomas
> Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 12:21 AM
> To: meltie; port-vax@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: [ot] Netbooting VMS Install
>=20
> At 05:09 PM 7/8/2003, meltie wrote:
> >Hi guys
> >
> >I know this isn't a port-VAX issue but you're about the biggest
single
> >collection of VAX geeks I can think of, so apologies in advance and
skip this
> >mail now if what i've explained offends...
> >
> >I'm currently thinking of putting OpenVMS onto a machine around
here for
> >"fun"
> >and i'm wondering if it is possible to netboot a VAX from an
OpenVMS
> >installation CD mounted in a linux box, over MOP or TFTP...?
(apologies again
> >for knowing little about ODS CDROMs...)
>=20
> Not possible.  Linux doesn't speak the required protocols to make
VMS
http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt/
> Cupertino, CA             Disclaimer: I avow all knowledge of this
message