Subject: Re: Internal compuiler error
To: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/04/2003 15:47:15
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Blaz Antonic wrote:

> Hello,
>
> >         You should probably (from pkgsrc/devel/gettext-lib) run
> >         'make clean ; make CFLAGS= CXXFLAGS= install'
>
> Will try.
>
> >         I assuming you've run 'unlimit' before starting the compile?
>
> bash: unlimit: command not found

	Hum. The tcsh/csh way to unlimit all resources is 'unlimit'. For
	sh/bash you probably need
		ulimit -d `ulimit -H -d`
		ulimit -m `ulimit -H -m`
		ulimit -s `ulimit -H -s`

	If gcc runs out of memory is tends to crash with an internal
	error.

> >         I use pkgsrc on a couple of Linux boxes myself - it will be good
> >         to try to find a path through this vax lossage :(
>
> I like the way Slackware works :) Every now and then (say when new
> kernel is released in NetBSD world) they put out new version with all
> the tools one could desire built and decent portion of them tested.
> NetBSD comes out with bare minimum of tools, just enough so you can get
> a better shell and non-vi editor in under 6 hours and then proceed to
> install other necessities. In a couple of days (depending on the speed
> of your CPU) you might end up with computer that can do the usual stuff
> one expects from it, like crash after 1 week of chewing up mozilla
> sources with compiler error. Slackware OTOH isn't very upgradable (not
> as much as NetBSD would be if pkgsrc worked as described in docs) but
> then again who needs upgrades of working software ? :-)

	There are a _few_ binary packages available for NetBSD/vax 1.6.1
	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/1.6.1/vax/All/

	They tend to lag the release a little as it take some time to
	get them all compiled :)

--
		David/absolute          -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --