Subject: Re: Internal compuiler error
To: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/04/2003 15:02:42
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Blaz Antonic wrote:

> Hello,
>
> >         The gtexinfo and whatever else needed for gcc3. As it happens
> >         on -current gcc3 does not need any other packages installed,
> >         though I don't know if you really want to start playing with
> >         curent as well :)
>
> Will try without -O2 (which is set in Makefile as i just discovered). It
> took me a while to find it .. In some person's infinite wisdom locate
> isn't part of standard userland package and i have yet to find it in
> pkgsrc, until then i have to resort to find (you don't want to do find
> on pkgsrc, at least not here) or waiting for make from gcc3 to complain
>
> ... done, it crashes in the same place without any optimization flag,
> while linking makedoc (three cases of undefined reference to
> _libintl_gettext). At the risk of sounding stupid, should i make clean,
> not just make clean in directories intl and info (where libintl and
> makedoc reside) before attempting to compile without -O2 ?

	You should probably (from pkgsrc/devel/gettext-lib) run
	'make clean ; make CFLAGS= CXXFLAGS= install'

	I assuming you've run 'unlimit' before starting the compile?

	If you are interested in playing with current a vax snapshot is at
	ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/current/200306120000/vax

> >         There is something very odd going on in the land of vaxen - I'm
> >         using pkgsrc on sparc & i386 without any of these problems :/
>
> I've seen some comments about Linux distributions  in mailing list
> archives so i' was really surprised to see something like this happen
> (if i disregard vs4k cougar prom wrecking since i wasn't affected by it
> ...). But it did happen, base packages (not the package collection) are
> insufficient for anything but barebone system and pkgsrc is defective,
> mildly put. While i've seen some errors in 'distros' too (broken Samba
> in Slackware for example) newer version was only 1 compile away. Here
> everything but the most basic stuff is 3+ compiles away, if i'm lucky
> and nothing crahses in the meanwhile. I don't think it has anything to
> do with the architecture itself, vaxen are cool, it's the
> arch-indenpendent stuff that is obviously defective (human errors).

	I use pkgsrc on a couple of Linux boxes myself - it will be good
	to try to find a path through this vax lossage :(

--
		David/absolute          -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --