Subject: Re: Console cabling VAX 4000-705A
To: Stephen Grady <netbsd@gradys.no-ip.com>
From: David A de Gruyl <david@bhaermandegruyl.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/23/2003 22:00:14
* on [03-06-23 21:27] Stephen Grady wrote:

>I have gotten my hands on a VAX 4000-705A and I want to install NetBSD on
>it. Unfortunately it came without any cables. My main problem is the console
>cable. What is the plug used to connect to the console? the documentation
>describe it as a modified modular plug, does it have a standard RJ number or
>what ? Next after I get my hands on one of the plugs what is the wiring to a
>standard DB 9 plug ?

It is commonly refered to as MMJ. (Modified Modular Jack).  It is a 6
wire connector with an offset tab.  In a pinch you can take an RJ12 an
file/snap off the tab.  It will fall out though.  You are better off
buying a cable.

http://csgrad.cs.vt.edu/~tjohnson/pinouts/

You can buy cables for some money from most cable supply places, for
instance: http://www.l-com.com.  You must have someone closer to you
though.

David

--