Subject: Re: Unexpected problems, part 2
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@maja.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/20/2003 14:54:47
On Tue, 20 May 2003, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 11:42:30AM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>
> > Real VAXen don't put the OS on hold while you play with the front-end...
> > The OS keep running alongside the FE operations. :-)
> Well, I know a machine where the OS runs (mostly) on the peripheral
> channel processors. The main CPU is used for computational tasks only.

True. Too much I/O load is on the processor in a VAX.
I'd like to get the CI working...

> > Oh, and yes. I'm running NetBSD/vax on a VAX 8650.
> I would like to say "that's cool", but I know that the VAX 8650 is a
> "11/780 in ECL", so this is hot, not cool. ;-)

Hehe. 16A 3 phase 340V is good for you.

> Does it still have a PDP-11 as console processor or a MivroVAX II?
> I have somthing in my mind the early VAXen had PDP-11/03 or PRO3xx
> as FEP and the later MV II FEPs.

The 11/78x have an 11/03, the 83x0 and 85x0 have a PRO. The 86x0 have a
T11, which means it's by itself in that regard as well.

The FE on the 86x0 runs RT-11, by the way.

	Johnny