Subject: Re: Unexpected problems, part 2
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/19/2003 16:45:55
On Monday, May 19, 2003, at 01:53 PM, der Mouse wrote:
> {\rant I really wish more people building systems like this would take
> the trouble to distinguish between a break condition and other framing
> errors.}  Not that that would help people with existing systems, which
> don't make the distinction, any....

   The problem with this is the fact that most UART chips can't
distinguish between the two.  Traditionally, a break is 300ms
long...much longer than a byte at even low baud rates.  A UART can only
really treat this as a framing error. :-(

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                "They live deeply, these vagabonds."
St. Petersburg, FL                            -Goro