Subject: Re: disks on a 4000/600A or 700A
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Lyle Bickley <lbickley@bickleywest.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/07/2003 13:19:57
Chuck,

Fortunately, I had recently read your Web page on "Getting around the 'no=
 ID=20
plug' problem" for DSSI drives (below for others on the list) - and kinda=
 got=20
a feel for the DUP protocol, DSSI config, etc. from that.

Now, if I understand you correctly, every drive in the DSSI "chain" will =
show=20
up as a separate MSCP controller and NetBSD defaults to only one MSCP=20
controller.  Someplace (I'll have to look for it), there's a way to incre=
ase=20
the count up to 7(?).

Reference: http://www.mcmanis.com/chuck/computers/vaxen/dssi-plug.html

Cheers,
Lyle

On Monday 07 April 2003 12:58, Chuck McManis wrote:
> That is correct, however it isn't always just "plug and go." The KFQSA =
has
> a "configuration mode" where you talk to the card via the DUP protocol =
in
> the VAX monitor. (Don't try this on a MicroVAX II) On a KA655 its easie=
> with a SET HOST/DUP/MAINT 1 or something similar. Doug Meade had the
> makings of a FAQ but I don't know if its on-line. Anyway, the KFQSA wil=
> show up as one MSCP controller for each drive so you will need to recom=
pile
> the kernel if you want to support more than 2 drives this way.
>
> --Chuck
>
> At 11:37 AM 4/7/03 -0800, Lyle Bickley wrote:
> >Ah-ha - So the KFQSA is to DSSI what the Emulex UC06/07 is to SCSI, i.=
e.,
> >they
> >both support MSCP and are compatible with VAXen and NetBSD...
> >
> >Lyle

> > >    It should work as-is...just plug it in, cable it up, and go.

> > >    The KFQSA is supported because it speaks MSCP and uses the same
> > > driver as many other controllers like the UDA50/KDA50, RQDXn, etc. =
 The
> > > onboard DSSI interface on some VAX CPUs is not accessed in this man=
ner.

> > >          -Dave
> >
> >--
> >Lyle Bickley
> >Bickley Consulting West Inc.
> >http://bickleywest.com
> >V 650-428-0621
> >"Black holes are where God is dividing by zero"

--=20