Subject: Re: battery replacement on VAX 4000-300
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Thomas Dzubin <dzubint@vcn.bc.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/03/2003 08:03:41
On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Thursday, April 3, 2003, at 05:04 AM, M J Dowden wrote:
> >>   They are in the bulkhead/connector panel that covers the processor
> >> board.
> >     I thank you kindly. Are they ordinary NiCad batteries or are they
> > taped together like cordless phone batteries? I was hoping to have the
>    Hmm, my memory is getting fuzzy...I think they're wrapped together
> and snapped into a plastic bracket but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Geesh, DEC sure didn't want people mucking around here.
I've removed my KA bulkhead panel (that has the console port & Ethernet
connectors)...then there's four more screws to unscrew, THEN there's
the white plastic covering (mine has a "S1 Baud" table printed on it)
that is *GLUED* to the circuit board, THEN there's two more screws
holding the circuit board to the frame at the AUI connector...yuck.
Anyhow, on mine I can see three batteries with "Panasonic rechargable"
on them...they look like "AAA" size and pretty generic.  There's no
plastic bracket and the batteries are held on the circuit board with
velcro(tm) and you can very slightly BEND the circuit board up just
enough to remove them.   It ain't easy, but it can be done.

Thomas Dzubin
Saskatoon, Vancouver, or Calgary CANADA