Subject: Re: Terminal settings (which termcap entry to use)
To: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/01/2003 07:45:19
On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Blaz Antonic wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have WinXP telnetting to my VS running NetBSD (and PC running Linux)
> using builtin telnet.exe. Upon telnetting the terminal type is set to
> ansi but obviously WinXP and termcap disagree on their definitions of
> "ansi" as bunch of stuff doesn't work correctly (scrolling up and doiwn
> in joe, some control keys not working properly, etc.). At the time being
> i set
>
> export TERM=vt100
>
> to be able to edit files at the very least but this way i lost some
> functionality in other areas (bash history for example).
>
> This very same telnet.exe seems to work reasonably well with Linux's
> linux-c termcap entry (almost everything workds, except few things in
> 'make menuconfig' display wrong after moving around).
>
> I was wondering if anybody else is using same or similar telnet (Windoze
> version) and has figured out a termcap entry that will work as expected
> ?

Alternatively, you could fix the source of the problem instead of
working around it.  That problem being Microsoft's ridiculous excuse for
a telnet client.  PuTTY is one excellent alternative client; it supports
SSH, telnet, and rsh connections.

  <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/>

-brian.